Cost of school uniforms
This is statutory guidance from the Department for Education. This means that schools and their governing boards must have regard to it when developing and implementing their school and trust uniform policies. It should be read alongside the non-statutory guidance on school uniforms.
The purpose of this guidance is to ensure the cost of school uniforms is reasonable and secures the best value for money.
The guidance outlines the cost considerations which schools should consider when:
- developing and implementing their uniform policies
- managing their uniform supplier arrangements
It also covers:
- the provision of second-hand uniform
- other support with the cost of school uniforms
- the information schools should provide to parents regarding their uniform requirements
This guidance is issued under the Education (Guidance about Costs of School Uniforms) Act 2021. This Act requires the appropriate authorities of relevant schools to have regard to this guidance when developing and implementing their school’s uniform policy.
Schools and governing boards will also need to have regard to other relevant legal obligations, in particular duties under equalities legislation.