Get Information About Schools (GIAS)
Get Information About Schools (GIAS) contains a section on the Governance of your school. It is a statutory requirement for the Governance section on GIAS to contain up-to-date information on the school's current and historic (for 12 months post-end-of-term-of-office) governors and trustees.
The Governance Handbook (October 2020) says:
359. GIAS is the legislative avenue for LA maintained schools to inform the Secretary of State of changes to their establishment made through the prescribed alterations regulation process: Making significant changes (‘prescribed alterations’) to maintained schools. For academies the Making significant changes to an open academy and closure by mutual agreement guidance sets out that GIAS must be kept up-to-date.
360. GIAS is also the approved process for schools to inform the Secretary of State of their intention to join or leave a federation. Information on federating is available on GOV.UK.
361. All governance boards are required to provide information to the Secretary of State about people involved in governance via GIAS which is also the National Database of Governors and Trustees.
362. Trusts must notify ESFA via GIAS of:
- the appointment or removal of Members, chair of trustees, all other academy trustees, accounting officer and chief financial officer, including direct contact details; and
- headteacher including contact details, chair of local governing bodies including contact details and local governors (where adopted) for constituting academies in a MAT within 14 days of any change.
363. It is essential that all establishments ensure their details are up-to-date on the GIAS website, including their governance details which are reflected through The Education Act 1996 and the Academies Financial Handbook.
As information is entered and updated by the school via the school's DfE Sign-in (DSI) service, clerks will need to liaise with the school to ensure this statutory requirement is met.
There is guidance re Governance information on GIAS on the DfE's website.